Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Upcycled Pencil Skirt


So I made this skirt :) Totallyloveit. And its a no sew! (I KNOW RIGHT?!)

Remember this?

My lovely opening scene costume for a play. Wow. Never have I harnessed the fashion powers of Dick Tracy before, but hey! Now I have a solid yellow dress and jacket that I will wear EVERYWHERE right? Not so much. So what to do?

I grabbed this shirt that is (of course) too tight in the boobs, and kinda getting discolored anyway.


And I put on the dress, figured out where i could cut it that would make a comfortable skirt length for me, along with some seam allowance. Aaaaaand cut. This is where I messed up and didn't think "Hey you really should unzip it first so you can still use the zipper part!" so the zipper doesn't work. You should probably be smarter. Luckily, it still goes on just fine with a little shimmy dance.


Next I turned the skirt inside-out and I took FabricTac and glued the seam down, using clothes pins to keep it down for a bit. While that dried, I started in on blending the two items. I ripped the seam on the back of the skirt about 1/2 way up and glued the seam and tip.  I then figured out how much of the ruffle I wanted at the base of the skirt, as well as how much would be needed to add to the seam I just ripped. (it REALLY helped that the skirt and shirt had the same diameter at the base.)  And cut then glued. (see below)


Once the glue dried, it was ready for action! However my camera was having trouble with the crappy lighting. I really ought to wait and have my hubby help me take picture but I get all excited!!! 


Have you ever tried to take a picture of your own butt?? It's really rather awkward. 


YAY! I love it, it's a length that isn't uncomfortable now and it's that much more fun. The white cuts the yellow back a smidge and makes it more bearable. Although I do really enjoy my yellow. 

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I love the ruffles under the slit- it's my favorite part of the whole skirt! :)

    Bekah
    beckaboots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely, tell me your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...