Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tipsy Tuesday: Body Wash

I have sensitive and dry skin and so does my husband {which means the kiddo's are doooooomed}. So it's really tempting to try every label on the rack to touting a new ingredient promising to make my skin hydrated! but do i yield?!? well, ok, i did for a while but now I have discovered a new method.

Now just as a side note, I used to make soap so I know it's possible to make my own stuff. For the record, I was working around a couple of different factors:
1) we are trying to get out of a mountain of debt (who isn't!?) and so the less I spend the better
2) The dollar store is always nice for cheap alternatives BUT I really wanted to cut down the toxins I was putting all over my largest organ (my skin).
3) Less toxins is better for the environment too, double win!

So what I was looking to accomplish really needed to meet all of these requirements and that's not easy to do. Lucky for me, Tree Hugging Mom had the answer! I am going on a couple of weeks now and I cannot complain a bit. It took some extra thought process to order the soap on amazon (not that you have to, I just didn't have a store nearby that carried it) but that was about it. Go to this linky for her blog entry OR I did a little copy/paste of it below for your convenience (you really should check it out though she's got lot's o great green info): 

************************************************************************

DIY: Homemade Body Wash


We’ve been using the following recipe for a few months now and I don’t think we will ever change.  It’s so easy to make.


First, get yourself a good sized pump bottle.  I recommend a pump bottle because the finished product is a little watery.  We just repurposed an old baby wash bottle and removed the labels.

Fill it half way with Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Baby Mild Castile Soap.  Fill the remaining with plain old water.  Voila! You have body wash!


And, if you like a little fragrance in your soap, you can add 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oils.  We chose a blend of Sweet Orange and Lemongrass.


Now, you may notice your skin feels a little tight at first, but I assure you that will go away after a week or so.  Your skin just has to get used to not having all of the added chemicals found in commerical products.


Plus, this stuff lathers just as good as the store bought washes and I have found that if you shut the water off while lathering, you won’t need to use very much at all (and you’ll be saving water too!).
UPDATE: I just tried the Dr Bronner’s Almond Castile soap diluted and I LOVE the smell!  Plus, no need to add Essential Oil (money saver!) ;)

************************************************************************

It's easy, it's cheap, and my skin has no complaints! I give total props to this lovely lady for such an easy tip {now i just need to fix that lotion situation...hmmm}:

1 comment:

  1. LOL i love that this didn't show up till wednesday....but it's a tip for Tuesday i swear!!! /sigh thanks internet...

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely, tell me your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...