Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Yam Casserole (in the crock pot)



Heeeeellloooooo Thanksgiving!!! Ok yeah, its not Thanksgiving anymore, but people make this dish for Christmas too right? Ok so this is still relevant. And guess who was making their first turkey EVER (that's me). Meanwhile, how does anyone manage to cook anything else?? Seriously, turkey takes forever. And it takes up the whole oven. Luckily, we were going over to my Aunt Roberta's house and people are bringing things etc. but I am still in charge of making my share and my grandma's share which comes out to me making five things anyway. One of these is Yams.



They were on sale.

I wasn't raised with yam dishes actually. I know right? Everyone is different. I think I was in my 20's the first time I ever had it. The marshmallows on a vegetable were really confusing....

Anyway. So I am making them in the crock pot!




Tink's Yam Casserole

4 large yams
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
enough mini marshmallows to dot throughout
pat of butter (not a lot, it's just to grease the crock)

Topping:
1/2 cup Marshmallows
2 cup Cornflakes

Directions:

Grease the crock pot with pat of butter.

Mix brown sugar and spices in a bowl, set to the side.

Peel and slice the sweet yam and stagger-stack in your crock pot. I did this in two layers. Since I used 4 yams total, I would chop two yams and lay them in, then put some of the sugar mixture, dot half of the butter, and dot some of the marshmallows as well.



Repeat the process with the second half of the yams.

Mix the 1 tsp of vanilla with the cup of milk, and pour over the entire top.

Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 5-6. This is done when the yams have reached desired consistency. This is what mine looked like when they were done, the pot was full to the top so they cook down quite a bit!



Take a hand blender to it



Pour into a casserole dish (9x12 is what i used, it was perfect)



Mix up the marshmallows and frosted flakes, spread evenly across the top



Bake for 10 min @350 degrees or until the mallows are that pretty touch of golden   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello lovely, tell me your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...