Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wine and Fig Reduction Recipe

I wish I had taken pictures, but I honestly thought I was going to follow a really simple recipe (about 4 ingredients) and call it good. We didn't have the stuff to make what I made before, but I was really craving it. Anyway, I tried this out but it didn't smell right, so I winged it and it came out amazing. It was soooooooo good! I used it in the slow cooker over some pork ribs from grandma's freezer. Then I made some blue cheese mashed potatoes and some not-so-fancy green beans to complete the meal.

Wine and Fig Reduction
1 can beef broth
1/2 cup red wine (I used what we had: pinot noir, if you use a port you probably won't need as much sugar to sweeten it up)
1 package of dried figs (mine had 12)
1 TB dried rosemary
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cumin

Bring the broth, wine, figs and rosemary to a boil in a small sauce pan. Boil for about 7-10 min. Turn off the flame. Stir in remaining ingredients until sugars have dissolved. Use immersion blender or pour into a blender to liquefy into a sauce. You should have about three cups worth.

Like I said, I then poured it over the frozen ribs in the crock pot and cooked on high for four hours. Amazingness. And the remaining sauce made a great gravy. It's naturally pretty thick so i didn't need to use a thickener. It goes perfectly with blue cheese or goat cheese. to. die. for. ugh, now i want more! bu-bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello lovely, tell me your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...