Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Learning to live in the Great Depression

No, I'm not talking about the current recession. I am talking about life with my grandma. There are times that it's like a study of another time altogether, her mind set is so entirely different and, at times, so entirely justified. And at the same time I have to act responsibly. I am not going to pretend I know better than her, but there are somethings I not do in good conscience. Like subject her to potential food poisoning just because she thinks it's still OK to eat. It might very well be, but with an 89 yr-old, I'm not taking that chance! But I do try to respect her beliefs, if you will, as much as possible.

One of my preferred ways to cook is to have the occasional splurge item, an ingredient you pay a little more for, to give things pizazz and spice. With Grandma, if it's not on sale you don't get it. It's cute :) And I get it. She was born in 1921, was raised in the city of Chicago during the time of mobsters, survived the Great Depression, married a soldier during WWII and lived on base cooking bread out of a wood burning stove. After that she goes on to raise 12 kids on a ranch? Yeah, if anyone knows how to use every bit of something it's Grandma. I was given a lesson on how to eat an apple the other day because she feels me just biting into the thing is wasteful, you eat way more of the apple if you slice it up and just cut some of the core off that way. I also got a little interrogation about why there was a "handful" of sauerkraut in the sink when I had rinsed the container out (Lesson Number One in learning to hide food waste from Grandma, haha!). I don't take any of it personal (it's really not that critical anyway), I just observe the behavior, smile, adapt and move on. But I do have to admit, it's stressing me out.

I think if it was just this that I was doing it wouldn't be so stressful, but I'm moving in still (this crafting corner REFUSES to come together!), I'm helping my brother through a very hard time AND I keep getting gnarly headaches! Those really don't help things go any faster let me tell ya. I don't want to sound whiny but UGH! Can I learn this another time????

no?

well....poopy.

But what do you MEAN life is like that? since when?

oh....it's been like this all along? hmmmmmmm....

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE learning and this is a huge learning experience. But I kinda wish I could just learn this AFTER my life got organized. And I organize grandma's kitchen. Then it can be learning time. 

ok.

the whining like a little girl is over now.

In other news, I have made some progress on our living room! Unfortunately these are pictures that were taken about..... a week ago. Yeah.... i have been waiting for it to be finished so I can have a big reveal buuuuut i think this is just going to have to be it for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello lovely, tell me your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...